Running a business is not for everyone. It’s a rollercoaster ride full of exhilarating highs and gut-wrenching lows.
But once you make it, it can be incredibly rewarding.
So, many entrepreneurs hire a virtual admin assistant to ease their workload – and increase their chances of success.
What Is An Admin Assistant?
An admin assistant, also known as an administrative assistant, provides various kinds of support to an organisation, including:
- Managing calendars and schedules;
- Keeping track of important documents;
- Planning appointments and meetings; and
- Updating databases and preparing reports.
In other words, admin assistants support the needs of your business – be it processes, systems, or projects.
Qualities to Look for in an Admin Assistant
A skilled admin assistant can make a huge difference in your business. Here are the key qualities to look for:
- Organisation. An admin assistant must be good at keeping track of schedules, calendars, and deadlines.
- Tech-Savvy. They should be knowledgeable in office software and project management tools.
- Problem-Solving. Admin assistants should take the initiative in finding solutions to unexpected challenges.
- Detail-oriented. It’s also important for an admin assistant to complete each task accurately and to the highest standard.
- Time Management. Look for a virtual admin assistant who can prioritise and juggle multiple deadlines under pressure.
Hiring An Effective Admin Assistant
Once you’ve identified the skills you’re looking for, it’s time to hire an admin assistant. Here’s how you can do it:
Define Your Needs
Start by listing down the tasks you need help with. You can ask yourself the following questions as a guide:
- What are the primary responsibilities?
- What level of experience is required?
- What technical skills are needed?
Write The Job Description
Once you’ve identified your needs, it’s time to craft a compelling job description.
You have to clearly outline the tasks you need help with. It would also be advantageous if you offer a competitive salary package and other benefits that fit your budget.
Choose The Right Platform
Finding the right platform is arguably the most challenging part of hiring an admin assistant.
Some entrepreneurs post on general job boards. Meanwhile, other business owners depend on their existing networks for referrals.
However, many AU business owners prefer to partner with experienced providers such as Remote Staff for their virtual staffing requirements.
This ensures that you get access to a wide roster of qualified candidates.
Screen Resumes and Cover Letters
Once you start receiving applications, it’s time to go over cover letters and resumes.
Prioritise candidates with strong track records, solid administrative experiences, and excellent communication skills.
Conduct In-Depth Interviews
After the initial screening process, you can go beyond the resumes and ask behavioural questions during the interview.
This helps you assess a candidate’s communication skills, problem-solving ability, and attention to detail.
Choose The Right Candidate
Hire the candidate who best aligns with your needs and company culture.
A great admin assistant should be able to integrate seamlessly with your existing team. Hence, it’s important to take your time to find the right fit.
If you’re still lost on how to hire an effective admin assistant, Remote Staff can assist you.
Remote Staff has helped thousands of AU business owners and entrepreneurs find the right Filipino virtual admin assistants for the last 16 years and counting.
What are you waiting for? Schedule a call back now.